From: Bill Cook
Subject: Using an Attorney

The type of claim that is involved is critical to your advice to first
contact an attorney.  If the claim involves property damage or business
income the first contact should be to a public adjuster.  Many attorneys
will not give a property loss a fair consideration due to the fee
arrangements and amounts of recovery.  As an experiment call a few attorneys
in your area and ask them if the can help on a homeowner claim for eight to
ten thousand dollars.  The majority of my cases that I process have been
rejected by multiple attorneys.
If the prospective client is not satisfied with the responses of a public
adjuster that only handles property losses against insurers then he can
discuss with an attorney in a more knowledgeable fashion.

Top of Page

Insurance Page

Uncivilization and its Discontents

Home Page

Email me
at: bhammel AT graham DOT main DOT nc DOT us

The URL for this document is:
Created: June 10, 2000
Last Updated: June 10, 2000