The Progress of this case will be followed from a
in chronological order with links to appropriate documents.
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
WESTERN DISTRICT OF NORTH CAROLINA
BRYSON CITY DIVISION
In the Matter of
WILLIAM C. HAMMEL, |
ALAN J. BELLAMENTE, |
et al., | AFFIDAVIT OF
Plaintiffs | DONALD CARRINGER, M.D.
| No. 2:99:CV-44-T
STATE FARM MUTUAL AUTOMOBILE |
INSURANCE CO., |
STATE FARM INDEMNITY COMPANY, |
et al. |
AFFIDAVIT OF DONALD CARRINGER, M.D.:
Donald Carringer, M.D., being duly sworn, declares and deposes:
1. I am an adult over the age of 18, and am not a party to this
action. I have personal knowledge of all of the following
and if called upon to testify upon the truth of thereof
2. I am a physician duly licensed to practice in the State of
North Carolina, and I am Medical Examiner for the County
3. I have been Mr. Hammel's primary care physician from April,
1996, and continue to be.
4. I have seen Mr. Hammel more than 60 times during the
the time that I have been his physician, and have had
the opportunity during our appointments to speak with him
enabling me to make certain observations concerning his
person and knowledge.
5. I am aware that he has a doctoral degree in theoretical
physics, is a mathematician, a musician, that he has
done research work in molecular biology, and generally
has a scholarly mind.
6. I am also aware of his long term love of the art of
medicine, and that his knowledge in that area is more than
considerable. In speaking with him I find that I do not
have to simplify anything, and that most often I might
as well be speaking with another physician.
7. Mr. Hammel has the naturally inquistive mind of the scientist,
and routinely learns about medications, so that we may discuss,
them including their pharmacological actions when they are known.
8. As a patient, he takes an active role in his own medical
treatment, having an understanding of gross anatomy, as
well as neurology and deeper biochemical aspects of the
human body, most likely stemming from his work in molecular
9. As a person, despite the pain that he is obviously in, I
have always found Mr. Hammel to be kind courteous and
respectful of others. I have no doubt of his personal
or scientific integrity.
10. The internet has clearly become his library for learning
since he cannot use a normal library; he has, on ocassion
brought to me interesting medical papers always with a concise
oral abstract of contents.
11. In intelligence, he may be one of the smartest and quickest
minds that I've had the pleasure of knowing.
12. Given what he already knows, I would doubt that there is
anything that he could not learn or understand quickly.
DONALD CARRINGER, M.D.
Robbinsville, NC 28771
DONALD CARRINGER, M.D., personally came before me and stated
to my satisfaction that this person: (a) was the maker of the
attached instrument; and (b) executed this instrument as his
My Commisiion Expires:
Top of Page
Uncivilization and its Discontents
Email me, Bill Hammel at
bhammel AT graham DOT main DOT nc DOT us
READ WARNING BEFORE SENDING E-MAIL
The URL for this document is:
Created: February 4, 2000
Last Updated: May 28, 2000