The Progress of this case will be followed from a
in chronological order with links to appropriate documents.
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
WESTERN DISTRICT OF NORTH CAROLINA
BRYSON CITY DIVISION
In the Matter of
WILLIAM C. HAMMEL, |
ALAN J. BELLAMENTE, |
et al., | AFFIDAVIT OF
Plaintiffs | MARK J. COLBERT
| No. 2:99:CV-44-T
STATE FARM MUTUAL AUTOMOBILE |
INSURANCE CO., |
STATE FARM INDEMNITY COMPANY, |
et al. |
Mark J. Colbert, being duly sworn, says and deposes:
1. I am the C.E.O. of Mark J. Colbert Enterprises, specializing
in Life Insurance Fraud investigations, Consulting and
2. I have academic credentials in: Business Insurance,
Disability Income Planning, Estate Planning, Pension and
Profit Sharing, Consumer Protection, Insurance Regulation
and Management, Insurance and The Legal Process.
3. I am a Life Underwriters Training Council graduate (1993),
with further studies in Advanced Ethics and Life Insurance
Policy Comparison and Underwriting.
4. I became registered with the National Association of
Securities Dealers (NASD) in 1999.
5. I have been a Life Insurance Professional for approximately
ten (10) years.
6. In 1993, I was recognized as an expert in the field of
Customer Service and Relations by the Metropolitan Life
7. I have investigated cases involving over a dozen different
insurance companies including: Metropolitan Life, Prudential,
New York Life, John Hancock, Allstate, Primerica, State Farm,
Farmers, Jackson National Life, Old Line Life, The Aid
Association for Lutherans, Aetna and others.
8. I have consulted and/or worked as an expert with over a dozen
different law firms, and have contributed to the investigations
of several major insurance companies by various States'
Departments of Insurance and Attorneys General offices.
9. I was named as an Expert Witness by J. Gary Gwilliam, Esq.
in the case of: Weiss v. Metropolitan Life; the first
Metropolitan Life "churning" case ever to go to trial.
10. I was named as an Expert Witness by Steven Green, Deputy
Attorney General, State of California, in the case of:
Steele v. Quackenbush.
11. I assisted Cindy Ossias, Senior Staff Counsel, California State
Department of Insurance with several cases in 1998 and 1999.
12. I provided the names of over four hundred (400) potential
insurance fraud victims to the Investigations Division of
the California State Department of Insurance in 1995 and 1996.
13. I found all six representative cases of the class suit:
Green v. Metropolitan Life, brought by George Donaldson,
Esq. of San Francisco.
14. In 1998, I worked with Bruce Robinson, CFE, Financial
Investigator, Economic Crimes Division, Office of The
Attorney General, State of Florida, on the identification
of various types of Insurance Fraud.
15. In 1998, I worked with Keith P. Vanden Dooren, Assistant
Attorney General, State of Florida, on the identification of
various types of Insurance Fraud.
16. I have worked with over a dozen different law firms and
investigators, nation wide, on cases involving many different
17. I assisted with the production of 14 different stories
involving Life Insurance Fraud for CBS News. The series
was aired late in 1994.
18. I was featured in a story written by Jane Bryant Quinn for
Newsweek magazine in 1995, am known and respected in my
19. I was also named as an expert witness by: David Becht, Esq.
of the firm; Adams, Nye, Sinunu and Walker of San Francisco
in the Colip v. Prudential case.
20. I was named as an expert witness by: Michael Meadows, Esq.
of Casper, Meadows & Schwartz of Walnut Creek, CA in the
Hall v. Allstate and Younce v. Allstate cases.
21. Will be named as an expert witness by: David Becht, Esq. of
the firm; Adams, Nye, Sinunu and Walker of San Francisco in
the Gaulin v. Sun Life case.
22. I am currently working on several cases with various law firms
in which I will be named as an expert within the next year.
23. I have expert knowledge in the area of insurer's fraud
both generally and particularly upon which I can
24. I have specific knowledge concerning this action.
Mark J. Colbert
Mark J. Colbert Enterprises
1328 Fairway Drive
Atwater, CA 95301
(209) 357-3423 Office
(209) 357-3435 Fax
MARK J. COLBERT, personally came before me and stated to my
satisfaction that this person: (a) was the maker of the attached
instrument; and (b) executed this instrument as his own act.
My Commission Expires:
Top of Page
Uncivilization and its Discontents
Email me, Bill Hammel at
bhammel AT graham DOT main DOT nc DOT us
The URL for this document is:
Created: February 4, 2000
Last Updated: May 28, 2000